We are thrilled to be featured for the second time in Gartner’s latest Hype Cycle for data security. DSPM has not only been acknowledged as having transformational benefits to organizations, but it is reshaping and innovating the cloud data security landscape.
Gartner indicates the important role of DSPM in identifying privacy and security risks with a single product, as organizations are faced with the challenge of data proliferation across multiple cloud environments. Furthermore, DSPM will transform how security teams “identify business risks that result from data residency, privacy, and security risks”.
Gartner also describes the business impact of DSPM as:
“Uniquely discovering shadow data by creating and analyzing a data map and data flow to identify data locations and user access to data. This will create critical insights to previously unassessed business risks. DSPM then enables data security posture to be applied consistently across previously independent data security controls. This allows organizations to mitigate these business risks despite the speed, complexity, dynamics and scale of data deployments. This is a unique combination of properties provided via a single console”.
Other highlights from the report include:
- Dynamic changes to data pipelines and services across CSPs are resulting in diverse shadow data repositories due to unfamiliar, undiscovered, or unclassified data, posing potential risks through geographic location, misconfigurations, or inappropriate access privileges.
- “Creating a data map of user access against specific datasets” was a complex process in the past due to data security and IAM operating in silos.
- “To achieve consistent analysis, organizations need to map and track the evolution and data lineage across structured, semistructured and unstructured formats, and across all potential data locations and shadow data”.
- The growth of data regulations has created the need for “tools that can access DSG policies”.
- Organizations are looking to identify security gaps and undue exposure using a combination of data observability features, such as real-time visibility into data flows, risk and compliance with data security controls.
To learn more about DSPM capabilities, check out this 2023 Gartner Report - Innovation Insight: Data Security Posture Management